Tuesday, October 6, 2009

R&R SEPT '09

ok, so someone my hubby works with has suggested that i put my newsletter up on a website, which i tried, but i didn't like the way it turned out so i took it down. however, i think i should still post at the very least my rant and rave. just because i feel like it. maybe soon i'll get some geek friends of mine to help me with a real website and you can read the whole thing. but for now, you'll get the R&R.

SEPT. '09
I've been struggling over this for a few days, wondering what topic I should talk about. What should I say that would make you get up and shout and take some kind of action? Should I talk about athletes who get rewarded for being criminals? How bout me with three college degrees, can't find a job anywhere? I have a huge list of things I want to chew up and spit out, but through prayer and God's direction, I know exactly where I need to start.
It's been one of my biggest pet peeves for years. The cranky attitude of people coming from church. What ticked you off so much in the house of God that you have to take it out on me? This observance has come from years of working in the customer service industry, food or retail, which always required me to work on Sundays. I've noticed how ill people are coming through my store, snapping at kids or spouses, always being less patient and more demanding of employees. Sometimes just outright mean as a snake. What did I ever do to you? Why is it you have such a bad attitude on Sunday, but on Monday you're nice?
I finally figured it out. Now that I've been unemployed for the past two months, I've actually gotten a chance to go to church on a regular basis and it hit me. We as church going people spend a couple of hours, on one of our only days off, being told what bad Christians we are. We're being reprimanded by our Holy Father for being spoiled brats who take Him for granted and use Him when it's convenient for us. We tell God, literally to His face, that He is only good enough for a couple hours on Sunday and only in church. Because once you leave church, you leave God inside those four walls. You just can't seem to figure out where He fits in to your schedule of work, school, practice, salon, and “me” time, so you leave Him at church. He's also not very popular because He's not on Survivor or the Real Housewives or Lost. So really what is there to talk about with your friends or co-workers? I mean come on, it's not like He was out last night partying with Paris or Lindsey.
Now I will be the first to admit that I've done it to. I get so wrapped up in “me” that I forget that there wouldn't be a “me” without Him. I get caught up in the devil's games of what is popular or what the crowd is doing and become blinded to what God wants me to do. I am here in this world because God has a purpose for me. I'm here for Him, not for my nails, my hair, my outfit, or my t.v. I don't care what happened on last nights reality show, because last night I read my bible and prayed for forgiveness. I prayed to be a better person, to be a better servant, and I prayed for you.. Heck, I even prayed for the man that wouldn't hire me back at my old job.
Now, put down the cell phone, turn off American Idol, get off the Internet, and open your bible. Start anywhere, doesn't matter, just start reading. I don't care that it's not Sunday or you have an appointment or you made plans with friends. God certainly doesn't. Pray to be a lump of clay so that God may mold and shape you into the person you were meant to be in His eyes. You'll be surprised how silly it feels at first, but before you know it, you'll see the blessings and the miracles that surround us every second. You'll see and feel His Holy Spirit and rejoice.
Don't believe me? Think I'm crazy, a rebel, someone who needs a therapist? Guess what? There were some people in the bible that said the same thing about this weird guy named Jesus. Wanna know more? It's written in that book sitting on the shelf in your living room collecting dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment